Tuesday, January 24, 2012 by: Danna Norek
(NaturalNews) Formaldehyde is one of the most toxic chemicals that can invade the human body. It is a known carcinogen and tissue irritant. Yet the chemical is still allowed in “safe” concentrations in certain products we touch, put on our skin or hair, and inhale every day.
Formaldehyde is used for a variety of industrial purposes, but most of us know it as the funky smelling liquid that preserved the dissection subjects in biology class. Long term preservation is just one of its functions. It serves as a disinfectant, embalming agent, chemical preservative, and solvent.
Formaldehyde in the air we breathe
Breathing formaldehyde is likely our biggest risk of exposure to this toxic chemical. That new car smell that everyone seems to love is largely due to the formaldehyde content in the materials that comprise the interior of the vehicle.